Virtual Information Technology Data Management Summer Intern - Graduate/Undergraduate
About the Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and is metro Detroit’s largest foundation. With a $3.7 billion endowment and over 100 employees, we work to expand opportunities in America's cities for people with low incomes. We do this through grantmaking and social investing nationally in arts & culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development in Detroit. Kresge’s Detroit Program is one of the foundation's signature efforts, reflecting our commitment to work in one of America's most challenging and dynamic cities and our belief in strategic, interdisciplinary, collective and innovative approaches to urban revitalization.
About the Position
The Information Technology (IT) Department is responsible for managing The Kresge Foundation’s technical infrastructure, equipment, applications and services. The IT department helps to drive technology strategy for the foundation technology and keeps staff apprised of how technology could impact or influence the non-profit sector. The IT department also closely monitors all cyber security activities. Addresses all cyber security issues and ensures staff is properly trained to identify security risks in the environment.
The summer intern’s role will be to help the department establish the foundation’s data lake, which will eventually be used to develop a data warehouse for reporting, AI and research purposes. The data lake will be built using Microsoft Azure and will reside in the cloud. The intern will be responsible for helping to extract data from several systems to load into the data lake using U-SQL, C#, PowerShell and other tools and languages as needed.
The position will report directly to a System Administrator and include opportunities to interact with multiple Kresge teams.
The summer intern will work with IT staff to build and develop the foundation’s data lake. Responsibilities will include:
· Setting up Visual Studio environment to interact with Microsoft Azure
· Working with IT to design the data lake environment
· Working with system owners to understand the functionality of their systems and their data
· Building U-SQL scripts to extract data from systems to load into tables
· Identifying and sanitizing problem data
· Documenting the data dictionary
· Assisting in data modeling activities for the data warehouse
· Creating sample reports using Tableau and/or Power BI
Please note: This position is open for current Graduate or Undergraduate students.
· Minimum GPA of 3.0
· Current graduate or undergraduate student studying computer science, computer engineering, systems design or a similar field
· Ability to multitask
· Strong creative thinking skills
· Strong organizational skills
What we offer our Interns:
· Graduate Internship offers a pay rate of $25 per hour
· Undergraduate Internship offers a pay rate of $20 per hour
· A virtual internship experience
· Half day Fridays during the summer months
Please apply by midnight EST, April 1, 2021
The Kresge Foundation, an Equal Opportunity Employer, seeks to reach a broad and diverse candidate pool when filling vacant positions. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds because we believe that the foundation and its work benefit from the various perspectives and talents of a diverse staff. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please note: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, all Kresge staff are working remotely, and our Troy and Detroit offices remain closed until further notice. Kresge staff will not be traveling or attending in-person meetings during this time. Thank you for your understanding.